FAQ of language course with EF

As you might know, I was on a language trip with EF in summer 2017. I lived three weeks in Brighton, United Kingdom. You can read another post about my trip from here. In this post I will answer questions I get the most about my language trip.



 Why did I want to go to a language course?
I actually heard about language courses and EF from my mom. She had been on a language course when she was a teen. I had seen pictures from that trip and those pictures made me want to go on a language course. The will just become bigger when time passed and then finally we booked my trip as my confirmation gift.

Who did I go with?
Usually, when I hear that somebody has been on a language course, they have been with their friend(s). I went by myself since I thought that I could learn the language better if I didn't have a friend who spoke Finnish with me. It might sound scary to go alone but I made a lot of friends from different countries. I'm still in touch with them and I have actually met some of them after the trip.


What kind of family I had?
My family included an older lady and her dog. There were also two other language course students living there at the same time and they were both Spanish. Our home was 5 minutes walk from the train station of Angmering. It took about 30 minutes by train to get to Brighton so our home was quite far. Most of the people lived about 20 minutes from the school by bus.


Did I have a lot of school?
I had three hours of studying per day. It was from 9 am to 12 am or from 1 pm to 4 pm depending on the activity of the day. We were split into groups based on our language skills and studied on our level.



What would I do differently if I went now?
I'd probably take different activities since I chose Thorpe park (an amusement park) over Oxford but now I feel a bit sad that I didn't go to Oxford since I love Harry Potters and the films were partly filmed in Oxford. Apart from that, I wouldn't change anything.

What is my best advice for someone who is going to go to a language course?
Do not speak in your own language, you are not there for that. I know it might sometimes feel weird to speak English to people who are from the same country as you but it actually improves your speech a lot.

Hope you enjoyed this post!
-TH

Comments

  1. This is a great way to learn a language and travel at the same time! Great post, thanks for sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely advise. I am sure I want to learn Spanish later in life. It's encouraging to read about it hence. Looking forward to reading more about your language adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good advise yes we agree too that if you want to learn a language then engulf yourself into and only speak that language you are learning with the others around you. I am a qualified TEFL (teach English as a foreign language) teacher and think these courses are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree - immersion is the best way to learn the language. I picked up Thai while living in rural Thailand, simply because no one around me spoke English. And quite often, some words do not translate directly to your language, so you inevitably end up using local language even when talking to your friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment