5 WAYS TO CURE YOUR WANDERLUST WHILE AT HOME


Traveling is amazing and once you start doing it, you start to crave for more. It's expensive to travel so you probably have to stay at home for some time before traveling again - just to gain more money. During that time, your wanderlust might grow and it might feel miserable to stay at your home. I've been there and that's the reason why I decided that I could help you by giving you some ideas on how to cure your wanderlust.


1. Read a travel-related book
Books about traveling have been trendy always. I love real stories and it's incredibly fascinating to read about all the adventures someone has gone through. The fictive stories are interesting, too. Here are some book recommendations for you:

Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie
Around the world in 80 days - Jules Verne
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
Kim - Rudyard Kipling
Life of Pi - Yann Martel


















2. Decorate your room



One of the best ways to cure your wanderlust is to decorate your room. My room is strongly travel themed and it always reminds me of my past trips and all the future trips I want to do someday. Decorating isn't as expensive as you might think - for example, some pillow covers change the look of your room a lot. In my room, I have some souvenirs from my travels, for example, three posters from New York. I have a world map as well and a wallpaper with names of cities around the world.

My wallpaper


3. Travel in your hometown
Traveling doesn't always mean that you have to fly to the other side of the world. You can explore your hometown and try seeing it differently. If you usually use the bus, try using a bike. Try to explore some areas that you don't usually spend time in. You might find a new favorite cafe, discover a small theatre or meet new people. It might be useful to buy a travel guide of your town/area so you can pretend to be a tourist.
Maybe rent a city bike?


4. Watch travel-themed movies
This is similar to reading travel-related books. I wanted to give you some ideas on what to watch so here you go:




Mamma Mia 2
Eat, pray, love
The secret life of Walter Mitty
Indiana Jones (any of them)
Before Sunrise
Amélie
Due Date



5. Go through your old travel photos and delete the bad ones
If you are anything like me, you might find your computer, camera, and phone full of travel photos. They take a lot of space so you are doing yourself a favor by going through them. At the same time, you can look back into your travels and maybe even order some photos to create an album. Also, you can order some photos to put up on your wall. It takes a lot of time but it's totally worth it!


One way to use your photos as decor
Travel themed decoration




I hope you found this post helpful!
-TH

Comments

  1. Intressant! :) Bra tips på att bota reslusten! :) Ett väldigt spännande tema att få läsa om :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great compilation! Always great advise to explore your own home town to get over the wanderlust itch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I like how you make your home to what you are passionate about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post! I'm a firm believer in being a tourist in your own town or region. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the tile - cure your wanderlust! which actually drew me to read it :) Wonderful suggestions shared here. Actually staycation is picking up.. when people just travel in their hometown during the holidays they take. Eat Pray Love and Amelie are my favorites ! May be could think of adding Backpacking North East India: A Curious Journey in the travel books list too :) We do almost all the things you have suggested and they are fun! Another could be to try eating at restaurants offering different cuisines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very welcome article to read as we got back home from a one-year travel very recently! Been doing a lot of number 3, which has been amazing. We live in London but there is so much of it we haven't seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh...I love this post! Might you have created a temporary cure for wanderlust? It seems true that the desire to travel never goes easy, but traveling in our hometown should always be pursued! Nice tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all the ideas mentioned here in this post. And you won't believe but currently I have been doing some of the tricks to cure my boredom these days as currently I have been stucked at my hometown due to heavy rainfall. I have watched all the movies you have mentioned in this post except Amelie...looking forward to watch this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spend my time at home daydreaming about travel. It's a bad habit so thank you for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment